This blueberry oatmeal is such a quick, healthy, & comforting breakfast to throw together. It's one I tend to go to time & time again, especially during cool weather months.
What a great way to start your day!
Oh my! This breakfast is full of fiber and antioxidants. What a great way to start your day! Ground flax, cinnamon, and blueberries are all whole plant-foods that help reduce chronic disease risk.
What makes these ingredients so healthy?
You may be wondering what makes these ingredients so healthy? Ground flax, itself, has been shown to decrease chronic inflammation and lower blood pressure. Berries, including blueberries, are the healthiest of fruits due to their antioxidant containing bright colors. Even cinnamon has been shown to be an antioxidant powerhouse. To top it all off, we have a chocolate orange balsamic glaze. The balsamic vinegar in the glaze may even help with blood sugar control. What a power-packed & healthy breakfast!
Mise en place?
This is such a simple recipe to throw together. I usually just start with measuring out the oats and water and throw those into the microwave while I gather the other ingredients. Then, I don't usually measure the toppings out ahead of time (mise en place). Eyeballing them is fine & feel free to adjust quantities to your taste.
Microwave on 50% power
After some trial and error, I've found that this combination of quantities and timing seems just about right in most microwaves I've used:
- a microwavable bowl that holds 2 ½ cups or more
- ⅓ cup steel-cut oats
- ⅔ cup cold water (timing is affected if the water isn't cool to start)
- microwave on 50% power for 5 minutes
- note: microwave ovens do vary so keep an eye on your oats to prevent boil-over.
Add your healthy toppings
Next, simply add your healthy toppings. I typically add my ground flax first followed by the cinnamon. Then, I add my blueberries and drizzle with the chocolate orange balsamic glaze (or if you prefer not to make your own glaze, California Balsamic has a wonderful premade chocolate orange balsamic vinegar). Next, just grab a spoon & dig into this chocolatey orange blueberry goodness!
What's your favorite way to enjoy oatmeal?
Blueberry Oatmeal with Chocolate Orange Balsamic Glaze
- ⅓ cup steel cut oats
- ⅔ cup cold water
- 2 tsp ground flax
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp chocolate orange balsamic glaze or premade chocolate orange balsamic vinegar, to taste
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
Prepare the oatmeal
- Simply place the oats in a microwaveable bowl (a bowl size that can comfortably hold at least 2 ½ cups of liquid). Pour the cool water over the oats and place the bowl into the microwave.
- Microwave the oats on 50% power for 5 minutes. *see note
- Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave (it will be hot).
Top the oatmeal
- Sprinkle the ground flax and cinnamon over the top of the oatmeal.
- Next, top with the fresh blueberries & drizzle with the chocolate orange balsamic glaze (or premade chocolate orange balsamic vinegar).