Just 2-3 ingredients!
This recipe takes just 2-3 ingredients and 4-5 minutes to make! 😃 These easy oil-free corn tortilla chips couldn't be more simple. They're crispy and crunchy with a nice mild kick from the green pepper sauce.
You may enjoy serving these chips with salsa or a plant-based cheese sauce such as this delectably cheezy "Insane Nacho Cheeze ('Cheese') Sauce".
Such simple prep for this recipe! Simply pre-heat your air fryer to 430° F. Also, prep for this recipe by making sure you have all of the ingredients at the ready. I like to use the "Food for Life" sprouted corn tortillas and the Tabasco brand "Milder Jalapeno" sauce.
Be sure your tortillas are pre-thawed if they were frozen. Also, measure about 1 Tbsp of your green pepper sauce into a small bowl & be sure you have a pastry brush nearby.
Simply stack and slice
Simply stack the 5 tortillas and slice them into triangles using a sharp knife. I like to slice them into about 8 chips each, for a total of 40 chips. Easy peasy! 😄
Brush the chips with the sauce
Next, you'll brush the chips with the sauce. If you have a large air fryer tray, it's easiest to spread your chip slices out directly on the air fryer tray before brushing them with the green pepper sauce. If you have a smaller or basket-style air fryer, it may be best to place the sliced chips on a plate and brush them before placing them into your preheated air fryer basket.
Be sure to spread the chips out. Do not allow them to stack or overlap in the air fryer. This will help them to cook more evenly.
If you prefer less of a kick, use less sauce. After brushing with the sauce, sprinkle the chips with a small amount of sea salt if you would like.
Air fry until lightly crispy
Next, simply place your tray of chips in your preheated air fryer and cook for about 4-5 minutes (adjust this timing as needed to reach the crispiness you prefer).
I like to cook these chips until I'm beginning to see some browning along the edges & the corners of some of the chips begin to curl up. In my air fryer, it takes between 4-5 minutes to reach this point. When done, carefully remove the easy oil-free corn tortilla chips, allow them to cool a bit, and enjoy! 😄
If you don't have an air fryer, you could also try baking these in a pre-heated oven. Place the chips on a parchment-lined baking sheet (& watch the chips closely to be sure they reach the crispness you prefer). Flipping the chips over halfway through baking may be helpful as well.
Easy Oil-free Corn Tortilla Chips
- air fryer
- pastry brush
- 5 six-inch sprouted corn tortillas, defrosted I used the "Food for Life" brand
- 1 Tbsp mild green pepper sauce I used Tabasco brand "Milder Jalapeno"
- sea salt, to taste optional
- Preheat your air fryer to 430°F (follow your air fryer's pre-heating instructions)
- Stack the defrosted tortillas and, using a sharp knife, slice them into eight wedges each (you'll have a total of about 40 chips)
- Using a pastry brush, apply a little mild green pepper sauce to the top surface of each chip. If your air fryer tray is large enough, you may wish to spread the chips out on the tray before brushing the sauce on. When placing the chips on the tray, be sure they aren't stacked on top of each other or overlapping. After brushing, also sprinkle the chips with sea salt, if desired (optional)
- Place the air fryer tray into the preheated air fryer and cook for about 4-5 minutes*, watching closely in the last minute or two. The chips are done when they are to the crispness of your liking. I usually remove the chips when some of the edges begin to brown and some of the chips begin curling up slightly. They're pretty crispy at this point.
- When done, carefully remove the chips from the air fryer and place on your serving dish of choice. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!